Reports from Port-au-Prince say residents began screaming in several neighborhoods when the shaking began at 1:26 a.m. local time.
EFE reports that residents in Peguyville, on the outskirts of Port-au-Prince, ran into the streets during the tremor, with some outside for the remainder of the night.
The U.S. Geological Survey said the 4.7 magnitude aftershock was centered about 20 miles west-southwest of the capital. It was followed 10 minutes later by a weaker jolt.
More than 130 significant aftershocks have occurred since the initial 7.0 magnitude temblor devastated the already impoverished nation six weeks ago.
Prior to Tuesday’s aftershock, Haitian President Rene Preval told reporters the death toll from last month's temblor could reach 300,000.
Officials say more than 200,000 bodies have already been recovered from the streets, but many more may still remain trapped beneath the rubble.